It’s no secret around here that I am a fan of cake.
So imagine my excitement when I found out the Cake Mix Doctor is coming to Milwaukee!
And not only is she coming, but we’re hosting an event over at Boswell Books on Downer Ave. Before we get to the details, let’s take a little tour of her book.
About the author, Anne Byrn:
- she has millions of fans (we trust her)
- she wants you to have your cake, and eat it too (the recipes are EASY and all start with a cake mix)
- she developed this book by request (so many fans asked for a GF version… so she did it, how great is that?)
I will be baking out of this book for the next couple of weeks… and perfect timing too; I’m headed home to see my family on Friday and planning to spend plenty of time in the kitchen with my little chefs.
First on the list: Susan’s Lemon Cake (p. 110)
This was the first time I had ever made a Bundt cake, can you believe it?
I thought about not sharing the pictures where you can see the obvious cracks in the cake. (this girl didn’t do a very good pan preparation) But then I decided, these pictures are all part of the process. Not everything turns out the first time. I got lucky though. My guy helped me get the top piece out of the pan and put it right back together.
And no amount of cracks could change the great lemon flavor, enhanced by the lemony glaze.
*As a bonus, you just witnessed the sun setting and the dark Wisconsin winter creeping in during my photo shoot*
What you guys are going to love about the book:
- Anyone can make these recipes — well, anyone who can properly grease and flour a pan.
- Ingredients are accessible, even in a small town in Minnesota.
- No flour combining or weighing. (this will make a few of you happy in the kitchen)
- Almost all of the recipes contain notes on how to make them dairy-free too. (Karen x 2 — just for you!)
- The author adds her notes at the end of each recipe, and there is a space to jot down your own notes too.
- It’s not just cakes, there are recipes for layered cakes, Bundt cakes and sheet cakes… but also bars, brownies, cookies, cupcakes and muffins — all in one book!
What am I making next?
You should come to the event at Boswell Books to find out… we’ll be serving up some of my favorites from the book that night!
Check out the invite on Facebook.
(from Boswell Books website)
Anne Byrn, author of The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free
Friday, March 25 | 7:00 pm | co-sponsored by Celiac in the City and Gluten Free Trading Company
A gluten-free diet is a complex one, requiring a very careful scrutiny of ingredients in order to eat free of gluten, which excludes food items such as wheat, barley, rye, malts and many common food additives. Since most baking is done with flour or other similar products, it is difficult for someone suffering from Celiac disease, or other gluten intolerance, to simply run out and whip up a cake. Anne Byrn, the Cake Mix Doctor, hopes to change that. Learn how to transform gluten-free cake mixes into 76 rich, decadent, easy-to-make, impossible-to-resist desserts, from Tres Leches Cake with Whipped Cream and Summer Berries to brownies, bars, muffins, and cookies. Doctoring mixes with additions like almond extract, berries, coconut and cinnamon, Anne Byrn puts delicious desserts back on the gluten-free menu!
Author bio: Anne Byrn is the author of the bestselling Cake Mix Doctor series, with over 3.3 million copies in print. She makes frequent appearances on Good Morning America and QVC. Her website is www.cakemixdoctor.com.