Let’s talk fries.
Baked, gluten-free fries.
Baked, gluten-free, real food fries.
Don’t let the load of toppings fool you, most if it is vegetables! (and that sour cream looking stuff is plain Greek yogurt)
2 large potatoes (we used jumbo potatoes from my mama’s garden, but any large potato will do — plan on one potato for each person)
Olive oil (or oil of choice)
Salt & Pepper (and any other seasonings)
Toppings of choice: cheese, tomatoes, onions, chives, bell peppers, ground meat or chicken, Greek yogurt or sour cream, bacon or pancetta pieces, (pre-cooked) jalapeños, banana peppers, salsa, guacamole, hot sauces, bbq sauce, honey mustard, really ANYthing you can think of!
- Pre-heat oven to convect bake at 425 degrees. If you don’t have a convection setting, you can just bake them at 450 degrees.
- Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up, or use a stone baking sheet — it may take two baking sheets depending on how big your potatoes are. You want them spread out with room to “breathe.”
- Fill a large bowl halfway full of cold water, set near your cutting board.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into long strips. Try to make them all similar in size to help with even cook time.
- As you cut the potatoes, drop them into the bowl of cold water. (add more water if needed)
- Drain water from potatoes and dry using a thin towel or paper towel.
- Return dried potatoes to the large bowl and coat with olive oil, salt & pepper, and any other seasoning you might like — we’ve added garlic powder and also Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning. Stir to coat all the fries evenly.
- Spread potatoes out on baking sheet(s) and bake 30-45 minutes — timing will vary depending on the size and thickness of your potatoes and how crispy you’d like them. Turn fries halfway through.
- While fries are baking, prep your toppings and make a “loaded baked fries bar” by putting them all in small bowls.
- When fries are nearly done, you can add shredded cheese and return to oven for melty cheese, or you can also add it right when you remove from the oven and it will melt on its own — this works great for your dairy-free friends.
- Top fries with your choice of goods and enJOY!